diagnosis and treatment
Pain and discomfort in your joints, muscles, spine and back can have many causes. To develop an effective treatment plan, doctors need to pinpoint the source of your issue. At O’Connor Hospital, our expert team of specialists uses the latest diagnostic and treatment technology and a personalized approach to get you back to a pain-free, active lifestyle.
DIAGNOSIS OF ORTHOPEDICS AND SPINE CONDITIONS
Our specialists conduct a comprehensive exam to figure out the reason for your pain or condition. Our exam includes:
- A family and medical history: We start by asking a series of questions about the nature of your pain to help diagnose or rule out certain conditions. Questions include:
- Where is the pain?
- Do certain activities make the pain worse or initiate the pain?
- When did the pain start?
- How severe is the pain?
- Do close relatives have a similar pain or conditions? (We may ask this question because some diseases run in the family.)
- A physical exam: We will test your muscles, reflexes, flexibility, range of motion and nerves for inflammation, weakness or another type of issue.
- Imaging test such as an X-ray, MRI or ultrasound: These images give our specialists a close-up or 3-D view of what may be causing your pain. We then use these images to select the best treatment option.
- Other tests: These may include a nerve conduction study and electromyography, which we use to test nerve and muscle function and to detect neuromuscular disease.
MINIMALLY INVASIVE PROCEDURES
Our orthopedic surgeons are experts at using minimally invasive procedures for almost all spine and joint replacement surgeries. During these complex procedures, our team makes small incisions on the body and uses advanced imaging equipment and computer-navigated technology. Some of the many benefits of minimally invasive surgery include:
- Quicker recovery
- Less blood loss
- Shorter hospital stays
- Less pain
- Less pain medication
- Reduced risk of damage to muscles and soft tissue
JOINT REPLACEMENT TREATMENT
At O’Connor, a designated Joint Commission’s Center of Excellence for hip and knee replacement, you can feel confident that you are in expert hands with our physicians. Our surgeons use the latest technology, such as X-ray controls and computer navigation, to perform minimally invasive procedures for all hip and knee replacements. We create a customized treatment plan to match the lifestyle of our patients.
- Anterior approach for hip replacement, a minimally invasive surgery that is ideal for younger, more active patients
- Minimally invasive total knee, hip or shoulder replacement
- Minimally invasive partial knee, hip or shoulder replacement
- Modified activities
- Lifestyle and nutrition counseling
- Walking aids
Our orthopedic spine surgeons stay on top of the latest and most effective treatment options. Additionally, our surgeons provide a personalized approach to care that does not end at surgery. We offer personalized post-operative care for all our patients. Advanced technology includes:
- O-arm® intra-operative imaging system: This imaging device helps physicians in diagnosis and during surgery. It provides live 3-D images to help surgeons accurately place screws, rods and cages for spinal fusion and other spine surgeries.
- Computer navigation system: Our advanced computer navigation, along with imaging devices such as the O-arm or CT scan, helps guide surgeons during minimally invasive procedures.
- Minimally invasive lateral lumbar spine fusion, in which the surgeon makes an incision on the side to avoid major back muscles
- Minimally invasive lumbar decompression
- Artificial cervical and lumbar disc replacement
- Microsurgical decompression of the spinal canal and nerve roots
- Herniated disc repair
- Disc protrusion removal
- Total disc replacement
- Ultrasound (used to deliver heat and energy to lower back to reduce pain)
- Physical and occupational therapy