Spine and back conditions can be painful, debilitating and life-altering. At O’Connor Hospital, our expert team of spine specialists uses leading-edge treatments to improve function and mobility and relieve pain. We get you back to a healthy, active lifestyle as quickly as possible. At O’Connor, you receive:
- Advanced treatment: Most of our spine treatments are noninvasive or minimally invasive, which means quicker recovery time, shorter hospital stay and less pain.
- A team of specially trained experts: Our specialists work together to diagnose and treat your spine condition and get you back on your feet. Team members include:
- Orthopedic spine surgeons
- Pain management physicians
- Orthopedic nurses
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Leading-edge technology: We use the latest technologies to treat spine and back pain such as the advanced O-arm® Intra-operative Imaging System. This 3-D imaging system aids our surgeons in minimally invasive and traditional open spine surgeries.
- Dedicated rehabilitation therapists: Physical and occupational therapy are key components for patients to get back to a fully active life. Our therapists use a specially designed exercise room to help you gain strength, improve mobility and build muscle function.
SPINE CONDITIONS WE TREAT
Our specialists treat all spinal problems from minor conditions to severe, chronic disorders and injuries. These conditions include:
- Degenerative disc disease
- Herniated disc
- Low back and neck pain
- Spondylolisthesis, a condition where a bone in your back slides forward
- Spine deformities, including scoliosis (curved spine) and kyphosis (hunchback)
- Spine fractures
- Spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the spinal canal in the neck and back
DIAGNOSING SPINE CONDITIONS
Spine problems or back pain have many causes, such as a sports injury, a fall or a spinal deformity. Diagnosing and treating them can be challenging. Our orthopedic specialists perform a thorough exam to determine the cause of your pain or discomfort and develop the best course of treatment. Learn more about diagnosis and treatment .
Our comprehensive exam includes:
- Medical and family history
- Physical exam
- Imaging tests such as an X-ray, MRI and CT scan
- Nerve conduction study and electromyography, if necessary, to test nerve and muscle function
MINIMALLY INVASIVE SPINE PROCEDURES
Our highly trained orthopedic spine specialists use the most current treatment technology to perform minimally invasive procedures. We are early adopters of leading-edge techniques such as minimally invasive spinal fusion from the lateral approach. Our orthopedic surgeons use this technique to treat a variety of spine issues, including degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis. Find out more about diagnosis and treatment.
Some of our spine treatments include:
- Minimally invasive lumbar decompression
- Minimally invasive lateral lumbar spine fusion
- Artificial cervical and lumbar disc replacement
- Minimally invasive spinal fusion
- Microsurgical decompression of the spinal canal and nerve roots
- Herniated disc repair
- Disc protrusion removal
- Total disc replacement
- Bracing, splints and traction